Dan Monroe is a native Texan born in Houston and raised in San Antonio. In 1960 his father moved here to start a food brokerage business and Dan has experienced the city growing from a sleepy town exploding to the diverse cosmopolitan area it is today. After attending Churchill High and Texas State with a golf scholarship, he studied Architecture there and at Trinity (and a stint as a disk jockey), he joined his family business in 1975. As grocery manufacturer representatives, Monroe & Associates, Inc. pioneered and introduced numerous name brands to H.E.B Grocery Company and was recognized as one of the premier independent brokers with many national and regional awards. Sold in 2007 to a company based out of Oklahoma City, Dan stayed on in San Antonio to help Texas operations for five years before retiring in 2013, pursuing his lifelong desire in the real estate industry. Prior to that in 2003 he constructed Deerfield Parke Garden Offices on Bitters Road and leases and manages the property today 100% occupied. In 1994, Dan founded and co-owned Panther Springs Golf on Blanco Road, a public/private partnership with the San Antonio River Authority. The premier golf practice facility in San Antonio when sold to EagleQuest of Vancouver B.C. it is currently Caruso’s Golf Academy. Always supporting his community, he is an original season ticket holder of the San Antonio Spurs. Also an original charter member of The Dominion Country Club since 1984 where he has cultivated many friendships and
What drives you?
Healthy and Fair competition drives me. Whether in the business world, playing sports, or even a trivia contest, I enjoy the goal of success.
Why Real Estate?
Real Estate affords me the opportunity to be involved with and help my life long personal relationships that I have developed growing up in San Antonio and also allows me to build new ones.
Where is your Happy Place?
My Happy Place is on the golf course enjoying a wonderful weather day on freshly cut grass with friends. I love all sports, but golf is just you and the elements. It’s been said that if you want to find the true character of someone, play a round of gold with them! I also love the creativity that oil painting allows me.
Why are you at M. Stagers Realty Partners?
I have only been in residential real estate for the last few years, but growing up in San Antonio, I know the name Missy Stagers represents excellence. Similar to my food brokerage business, we were not the longest, but we were very well respected and our employees valued our family type atmosphere and the support they received.
If your friends could describe you in just four words, what would they be?
Warm, Loyal, Athletic & Artistic
What is your favorite quote?
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
- Studied Art and Architecture in school. Oil painting is my medium of choice and I would like to paint more with time. Georgia O’Keeffe is my favorite artist and abstract is my favorite style, although I have done portraits. I was a finalist for the 2008 official Fiesta San Antonio poster.
- Played competitive golf at Churchill and had 8 college scholarship offers but walked on at Southwest Texas State. Played amateur golf tournaments round San Antonio for years and joined Dominion CC when it first opened in 1984. Ten time Club Champion including 4 Club Championships, 4 Senior Club Championships and 2 Match Play Championships. Have served on numerous committees and boards over the years including the 2001 Renaissance Chairman which is our annual member-guest 5 day tournament with 120 players from around the country. Run a Saturday morning game at the club and have developed numerous lifelong friends and relationships over the years from golf. For the last 25 years have volunteered as an announcer at the Texas open and the Senior Professional Tournament. Also from 2013-2016 founded and ran the San Antonio Club Golf Association which had over 125 members from 17 San Antonio and Hill Country area clubs to play friendly tournaments and develop business relationships.
- One of the few remaining original charter San Antonio Spurs season ticket holders. Purchased tickets with a friend in 1973 at the age of 19 when the Spurs moved here from Dallas and have been supporter ever since. Through the years have been fortunate enough to make personal friends with several of the players and proud to say my son was hired by the Spurs after graduating from Texas A&M and is now the Senior Director of Sales and Retention and moving up in the front office. In 1981 organized and formed a city wide church mens basketball league after coaching my own kids with their teams at Holy Spirit Catholic Church. Over the years over 400 players have played in the league. We still play every Wednesday. I love to work out and basketball and walking on the golf course keep me rejuvenated !
- For 7 years in the 1970’s after college I was a disk jockey at the most popular dance club in San Antonio called the Crystal Pistol, located on the corner of San Pedro and Hildebrand in the middle of 3 colleges ( Trinity, Incarnate Word and SAC ) . I was the rock n roll DJ on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday nights and we were completely packed on those nights. I was always the kid in high school who would organize everyone and get tickets to the concerts so playing music for college kids in the 70’s was way too much fun. I am a music nerd, you would not want to compete against me in name that tune lol. Without divulging too much information or the owner of the club ( he famously owned a couple of other bars ) I was indirectly involved in the idea for a restaurant that turned into an iconic San Antonio legend. Too long a story to share in writing but if you lived in San Antonio in the 1970’s you will certainly relate and get a kick out of it.
- I am most proud of my 3 kids and 4 grandkids and could talk about them endlessly. My daughter is the oldest graduating from Texas State and she is an elementary school teacher in NISD for 17 years now. It takes a special person who loves kids to thrive in her position helping to develop our young minds, definitely underappreciated and underpaid. 2 grandsons ages 10 and 7 involved in everything! My oldest son is a Texas A&M graduate and is the Senior Manager of Season Ticket Sales with the San Antonio Spurs for 15 years now, was featured in San Antonio Magazine salute to young and up and coming executives ( 40 under 40) , is past 2019 chairman of the North San Antonio Chamber of Commerce and currently serving on the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation board. 1 grandson and 1 granddaughter ages 3 and 1. My youngest son graduated with a double major from University of Texas ( yes I have an Aggie AND a Longhorn) and currently lives in Chicago, Illinois and has Masters and Doctorate as a research scientist with Lurie Children’s Hospital at Northwestern University.
Dan Monroe REALTOR®